UCA1 Urothelial cancer associated 1 is a long noncoding RNA that is involved in the growth and tumorigenesis of various kinds of human cancer.
Approved symbol: UCA1
Approved name: urothelial cancer associated 1
HGNC ID: HGNC:37126
Previous names: urothelial cancer associated 1 (non-protein coding)
Alias symbols: LINC00178; CUDR; UCAT1; onco-lncRNA-36
Alias names: long intergenic non-protein coding RNA 178; cancer up-regulated drug resistant
RefSeq ID: NR_015379
LncBook ID: HSALNT0256354
UCA1 is three exon long noncoding RNA that is located on human chromosome 19p13.12. UCA1 is spliced and polyadenylated . Multiple isoforms of UCA1 exist (1.4kb, 2.2kb and 2.7kb). The 2.2kb isoform contains an extended final exon compared to the 1.4kb isoform while the 2.7kb isoform has not been characterised . Sequence is mainly repeat elements. Initiates in an LTR, exons sample pieces of a HERV-H element and longer 2.2kb isoform contains a second LTR at the 3' end .
Functions of 1.4kb and 2.2kb isoforms have been investigated, both appear to promote and enhance tumourigenesis . Over-expression of 1.4kb isoform enhanced tumorigenic behavior of bladder cancer cells in-vitro and in-vivo. Increased drug resistance and cell motility . Overexpression of 2.2kb isoform caused resistance to drug induced apoptosis, potentially by downregulation of caspase 3 levels . 2.2kb isoform promoted transformation in-vitro, possibly because resistance to apoptosis is an important step in tumourigenesis .
UCA1 modulate MDR1 by a model system of leukemia cell lines with a gradual increase of MDR1 expression and IM resistance. UCA1 competes with 3' UTR of MDR1 mRNA for common miR-16 to regulate MDR1 expression. Overexpression of UCA1 increased MDR1 expression to promote Imatinib (IM) resistance of chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) cells .
Enhanced expression of UCA1 is involved in cancer metastasis tongue squamous cell carcinoma .
UCA1 improve the cell migration, invasion and induce cisplatin resistance .
overexpression of UCA1 promotes osteosarcoma initiation and progression .
UCA1 promotes hepatocellular carcinoma progression through inhibition of miR-216b by FGFR1/ERK signaling pathway .
Widely expressed in embryonic development and placenta . Low or no expression in normal adult tissue but highly upregulated in cell lines resistant to drug induced apoptotic cell death and bladder, colon and lung cancer , .
UCA1 is upregulated in tongue squamous cell carcinomas and renal cell carcinoma .
Elevated expression of UCA1 is found in ovarian cancer tissues .
UCA1 is overexpressed in osteosarcoma .
High expressed in gastric cancer.
|Experiment||Forward primer||Reverse primer|
|Real Time PCR||5′‐GACCCTACCCGGTCATTTATAG‐3′||5′‐CTGATGGGCATGGCTTTATTC‐3′|
Found in humans. May be present in other primates but not in more distantly related mammals 
- Bladder cancer 
- Hepatocellular carcinoma 
- Osteosarcoma 
- Overian Cancer 
- Pancreaticobiliary maljunction 
- Renal cell carcinoma 
- Tongue squamous cell carcinomas 
- gastric cancer
Labs working on this lncRNA
- Department of Clinical Laboratory, Zhongshan Hospital of Xiamen University , Xiamen, Fujian Province, China.
- Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Affiliated Dongnan Hospital of Xiamen University , Xiamen, Fujian Province, China.
- Department of Urology, Peking University Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518036, P.R. China.
- Department of Urology, Anhui Medical University, Hefei, Anhui 230032, P.R. China.
- The Guangdong and Shenzhen Key Laboratory of Male Reproductive Medicine and Genetics, Peking University Shenzhen Hospital, Shenzhen, Guangdong 518036, P.R. China.
- Department of Gynecology, Shaannxi Provincial People’s Hospital, Xi’an 710068, China.
- Department of Pediatrics, Second Affiliated Hospital of Xi’an Jiaotong University College of Medicine, Xi’an 710054, China.
- Center for Clinical Laboratory, Shaanxi Provincial People’s Hospital, Xi’an 710068, China.
- Central Laboratory, Shaanxi Provincial People’s Hospital, Xi’an 710068, China.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Wang XS, Zhang Z, Wang HC, Cai JL, Xu Q W, Li MQ et al. Rapid identification of UCA1 as a very sensitive and specific unique marker for human bladder carcinoma[J]. Clinical cancer research. 2006, 12(16):4851-4858.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Wang F, Li X, Xie XJ, Zhao L, & Chen W. UCA1, a non‐protein‐coding RNA up‐regulated in bladder carcinoma and embryo, influencing cell growth and promoting invasion[J]. FEBS letters. 2008, 582(13):1919-1927.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Tsang W P, Wong T W L, Cheung A H H, et al. Induction of drug resistance and transformation in human cancer cells by the noncoding RNA CUDR[J]. Rna. 2007.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Xiao Y, Jiao C, Lin Y, Chen M, Zhang J, Wang J et al. lncRNA UCA1 contributes to imatinib resistance by acting as a ceRNA against miR-16 in chronic myeloid leukemia cells[J]. DNA and cell biology. 2017, 36(1):18-25.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Yang QQ, Deng YF. Long non-coding RNAs as novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets in head and neck cancers[J]. International journal of clinical and experimental pathology. 2014, 7(4):1286.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 Wang F, Zhou J, Xie X, Hu J, Chen L, Hu Q et al. Involvement of SRPK1 in cisplatin resistance related to long non-coding RNA UCA1 in human ovarian cancer cells[J]. Neoplasma. 2015.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Li W, Xie P, Ruan W. Overexpression of lncRNA UCA1 promotes osteosarcoma progression and correlates with poor prognosis[J]. Journal of bone oncology. 2016, 5(2):80-85.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Wang F, Ying HQ, He BS, Pan YQ, Deng QW, Sun HL et al. Upregulated lncRNA-UCA1 contributes to progression of hepatocellular carcinoma through inhibition of miR-216b and activation of FGFR1/ERK signaling pathway[J]. Oncotarget. 2015, 6(10):7899.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Fang Z, Wu L, Wang L, Yang Y, Meng Y & Yang H. Increased expression of the long non-coding RNA UCA1 in tongue squamous cell carcinomas: a possible correlation with cancer metastasis[J]. Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology and oral radiology. 2014, 117(1):89-95.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Li Y, Wang T, Li Y, Chen D, Yu Z, Jin L et al. Identification of long-non coding RNA UCA1 as an oncogene in renal cell carcinoma[J]. Molecular medicine reports. 2016, 13(4):3326-3334.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Cao WJ, Wu HL, He BS, et al. Analysis of long non-coding RNA expression profiles in gastric cancer[J]. World J Gastroenterol, 2013, 19: 3658-3664.
- ↑ Kaneko K, Ito Y, Ono Y, Tainaka T, Tsuchiya H, Shimoyama Y, et al. Gene expression profiling reveals upregulated UCA1 and BMF in gallbladder epithelia of children with pancreaticobiliary maljunction[J]. Journal of pediatric gastroenterology and nutrition. 2011, 52(6):744-750.
Sequence>gi|652995|ref| NR_015379.3| Homo sapiens urothelial cancer associated 1 (UCA1), long non-coding RNA
000081 CACCTTTAAC TGTAACTTTC CACAGCCTAC CCCAGCCCTA TAAAGCTGCC CCTCTCCTAT CTCCCTTCGC TGACTCTCTT 000160
000161 TTCAGACTCA GCCCACTTGC ACCCAAGTGA ATTAACAGCC TTGTTGCTCA CACAAAGCCT GTTTAGGTGG TCTTCTATAC 000240
000241 GGACATGCTT GACACTTGGT GCCAAAATCT GGGCCAGGGG GACTCCTTCG TGAGACCGGC CCCCTGTCCT GGCCCTCATT 000320
000321 CCGTGAAGAG ATCCACCTGC GACCTCGGGT CCTCAGACCA GCCCAAGGAA CATCTCACCA ATTTCAAATC GGATCTCCTC 000400
000401 GGCTTAGTGG CTGAAGACTG ATGCTGCCCG ATCGCCTCAG AAGCCCCTTG GACCATCACA GATGCCGAGC TTCGGGTAAC 000480
000481 TCTTACGGTG GAGGATTCCC AGCCATATGA AGACACCCTA GCTGGACGAT CAGTCCTTGT CAAAAGTCTG ACCCCTCAAA 000560
000561 CTCTACAGCC TCAATGGACC AGACCCTACC CGGTCATTTA TAGCACACCA ACTGCCGTCC ATCTGCAGGA CCCTCTCCAT 000640
000641 TGGGTTCACC ATTCCAGAAT AAAGCCATGC CCATCAGACA GCCAGCTTGA TCTCTCCTCT TCCTCCTGGA AGCCACAAGA 000720
000721 TTAGGCCGAG AGCCGATCAG ACAAACAACC TACAACCCTT AAGCTCCTGG CAGCGCCCAG CCAAGGCCAT GCTTCCATGC 000800
000801 AACACTCCTT CCAAATGGCC ATCCCAGCAT GCTTCCAAGC AGGCTTCATC CGTTCCTCTG GACCCTCATC TCTTAAGACC 000880
000881 TGCCGCCTAT AAAAAGGATT ATATCTTGAG ACCCTATCCT CTAAAATTTT TTCCACACCC AAAACAAAAA ATCTCTGGGT 000960
000961 CAAAAGTCTA AAACGCTTAG GCTGGCAACC ATCAGATCCT TGCCCATGGT GTCCTCAAGC CTACTCTCAT GAAATGGACA 001040
001041 ACAGTACACG CATATGGGGC CAGTTCCACA TATTTGGCAA CCAGACCAGC ATCCAGGACA ACACAAAGTA TGTTGTTTGT 001120
001121 TGTTAGAGGG CTTGGGACAT TTCACTCTTT GCCAGCCTCA GCTTAATCCA GGAGACAAAG ATTATTTTCC TTATTATCTC 001200
001201 TTCTGCATAG GATCTGCAAT CAGAACTATT GAACTTCTCC ATTCAGACCG CCACTCACAC CTATGGGAAA AGGGTAATGT 001280
001281 ATCATCGGCT TAGCAACAGG GAATACTATT CGTATGATGG AAAATGGGGA CAAAAGGCTT TGGTACATAA AACATTATTC 001360
001361 CTTCCTTGGC CTAAAAACTC ATCGCCACCT ACATTAAAGC TAATATGCCT GATTACTGTT TTTAGAGAAC TTATTTTATT 001440
001441 AGGGCAGTTC CAAGCTCAAA AATACGCTAA CTGGCACCTT GTTAGCTACA TAAAAATGCA CCCTAGACCC GAAACTTACT 001520
001521 AGACTCATTA TAAAATTTTC TTTAAGGTGT CCACGCAGTC CCTGGTCACA CTTGAAGCAG TCCGGAGAAA TATCAGCCCT 001600
001601 ACCCCAGTAA TCCCCAGAAG GAACTTACAC TTTTTTTTAA TCTTTTCCTA CAACTTCATA TTTTATAAAT AAAAAGACAA 001680
001681 AAATGTCAGG CCTGTGAGCT GAAGCTTAGC CATTGTAACC CCTGTGACCT GCACATATCC GTCCAGGTGG CCTGCAGGAG 001760
001761 CCAAGAAGTC TGGAGCAGCC GAAAAACCAC AAAGAAGTGA AACAGCCAGT TCCTGCCTTA ACTAATTAAC CCACCTTACG 001840
001841 ACATTCCACC ATTATGACTT GTCCACCATT ATGACTTGTT CCTGCCCTGC CCCAACTGAT CAATCAACCC TGTGACATTC 001920
001921 TTCTCCTGGA CAATGAGTCC CATCATCTCT CCACCATGCA CCTTGTGACC CCCTCCTCTG CTGAGGATAA CCACCTTTAA 002000
002001 CTGTAACTTT CCACGCCTAC CCAAGCCCTA TAAAGCTGCC CCTCTCCTAT CTCCCTTCAC TGACTCTCTT TTCGGACTCA 002080
002081 GCCCACTTGC ACCCAAGTGA ATTAACAGCC TTGTTGCTCA CACAAAGCCT GATTGGGTGT CTTCTATACG GACACGCGTG 002160
002161 ACAGGAACCT CAACCCAAAG GCAGTCTGAT GAGGTGTCTA AGATAAAAGT AGCGGCACAA AGGCTTTTGT AAACAGAGGC 002240
002241 GTTTCATGTG GTTTTCCTTT CCTTTCCTTA TATGTGAAAA GGTGACAGAA AAGAAATCTT CCTAAAAGAG TCAG