General Information About Sorghum
The following information is a general description about the plant sorghum.
Click the links, you may find more information about sorghum.
Sorghum: Wiki introduction to the genus sorghum including several sorghum species
Sorghum bicolor: Wiki introduction to the species Sorghum bicolor including cultivation, agricultural use and genome
ICRISAT: General description about sorghum provided by the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (India)
Whole Grain Council: General description about Sorghum provided by the US Whole Grain Council
WiseGeek: General description about sorghum provided by WiseGeek with clear answers to Common Questions
Sorghum Genome and Transcriptome Databases
Genome sequencing of Sorghum bicolor was completed in 2009. The genome sequence is available at the Plant Genome Database of the US Joint Genome Institute. EST and RNA sequencing were made recently.
You may search and browse these databases to obtain useful information related to your research projects.
Phytozome: The sorghum bicolor genome database at the US Joint Genome Institute (Release 2.1)
Gramene: The sorghum genome information portal at Gramene
Ensembl: The sorghum genome browser at Ensembl (Release 1.4)
PlantGDB: The sorghum genome browser at PlantGDB (Release 1.4)
Morokoshi: The sorghum transcriptome database at RIKEN (Japan)
PlantTFDB: The Sorghum transcription factors in the PlantTFDB, Peking University, China
SorghumFDB: Sorghum functional genomics
Purdue: Functional Gene Discovery Platform for Sorghum at Purdue University, US
- Sorghum QTL Atlas: A powerful tool for trait dissection, comparative genomics and crop improvement
- PGSB: Plant genome and systems biology
GreenPhylDB: A comparative pangenomic database for plant genomes
PIGD: Poaceae Intronless Genes Database
DNApod: DNA polymorphism annotation Database
PceRBase: Plant competing endogenous RNA Database
PtRFdb: Plant tRNA-derived fragment database
GOLD: Genomes online database
Pfam: The database of protein families and annotation information
UniProt: The resource of protein sequence and functional information
PANTHER: The protein analysis through evolutionary relationships classification system
CWR: The database of Crop Wild Relatives
APD: The African Plant Database
Sorghum Research Institutions
You may find sorghum research institutions and centers around the world.
- KLPR: Key Laboratory of Plant Resources, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- SAAS: Rice and Sorghum Research Institute, Sichuan Academy of Agricultural Sciences (in Chinese)
- CGRIS: Chinese Crop Germplasm Resource Information System, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences
- Giessen: Department of Plant Breeding, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
- Morris Lab: Sorghum Genetics Laboratory, K-state University
- K-state: Department of Agronomy, Kansas State University
- Brown Lab: Sorghum research laboratory, Department of Crop Sciences, University of Illinois
- Nebraska: Sweet sorghum research group, Department of Agronomy and Horticulture, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- PSGD: Plant Stress and Germplasm Development Unit, Department of Agriculture, Lubbock, Texas, US
- CIRAD: Sorghum genetic resources: a reference collection to study how diversity is organized, France
Here you may find some information about US sorghum producers, processers and marketing.
- Producer: The US National Sorghum Producers
- Checkoff: The US sorghum checkoff program
- Grain Council: The US sorghum checkoff program
- AGMRC: The US Sorghum produce and export information
- IBP: The Integrated Breeding Platform
These handbooks are mainly about sorghum production.
- MP279: The grain sorghum production handbook edited by University of Arkansas (74 pages)
- C687: The Grain sorghum production handbook edited by Kansas State University (32 pages)
- BSDEU: Breeding Sorghum for Diverse End Use