PLUT is a long noncoding RNA located upstream of pancreatic and duodenal homeobox 1 (PDX1) and is invovled in Type 2 diabetes.
PLUT: PDX1 associated lncRNA, upregulator of transcription (HGNC nomenclature), PLUTO 
PLUT is a multi-isoform transcript that contains five major exons and span nearly 100 kb on human chromosome 13q12.2 (HGNC), encompassing a cluster of enhancers that make 3D contacts with the PDX1 promoter in human islets and in EndoC-βH1 cells .
PLUTO is involved in the regulation of β cell-specific transcription factor networks . It is found that PLUTO affects local 3D chromatin structure and transcription of PDX1 (encoding a key β cell transcription factor), and knockdown of PLUTO RNA in dispersed primary human islet cells causes decreased PDX1 mRNA .
PLUTO Regulates PDX1, an essential transcriptional regulator of pancreas development and β cell function that has been implicated in genetic mechanisms underlying Mendelian and type 2 diabetes . Both PLUTO and PDX1 are downregulated in islets from donors with type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance .
PLUTO is the most markedly downregulated lncRNAs in islets from T2D (type 2 diabetes) or IGT (impaired glucose tolerance) donors .
Labs working on this lncRNA
- Section of Epigenomics and Disease, Department of Medicine, Imperial College London, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom.
- Genomic Programming of Beta Cells Laboratory, Institut d'Investigacions Biomediques August Pi I Sunyer (IDIBAPS), Barcelona 08036, Spain.
- Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red de Diabetes y Enfermedades Metabólicas Asociadas (CIBERDEM), Madrid 28029, Spain.
- Department of Genetics and Genomic Science, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY 10029, USA.
- Sorbonne Universités, UPMC Univ Paris 06, INSERM, CNRS, Institut du cerveau et de la moelle (ICM) – Hôpital Pitié-Salpêtrière, Boulevard de l’Hôpital, Paris 75013, France.
- Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital and Research Institute and Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute, Badalona 08916, Spain.
- Diabetes, Obesity, and Metabolism Institute, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY 10029, USA.
- European Genomic Institute for Diabetes, INSERM UMR 1190, Lille 59800, France.
- Diabetes Research Institute (HSR-DRI), San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milano 20132, Italy.
- Cell Isolation and Transplantation Center, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland.
- Department of Clinical Sciences, Lund University Diabetes Centre, Lund University, Lund 20502, Sweden.
- Akerman I, Tu Z, Beucher A, Rolando DM, Sauty-Colace C, Benazra M, Nakic N, Yang J, Wang H, Pasquali L, Moran I, Garcia-Hurtado J, Castro N, Gonzalez-Franco R, Stewart AF, Bonner C, Piemonti L, Berney T, Groop L, Kerr-Conte J, Pattou F, Argmann C, Schadt E, Ravassard P, Ferrer J. Human Pancreatic β Cell lncRNAs Control Cell-Specific Regulatory Networks. Cell Metab. 2017 Feb 7;25(2):400-411.
>gi|100861550|ref|NR_047484.2| Homo sapiens PDX1 associated lncRNA, upregulator of transcription (PLUT), long non-coding RNA